PW's Chocolate Cake Recipe

When we decided to have a cake decorating day, I decided maybe I should make my cake ahead of time so that we weren't waiting on mine to bake. Good thought, right? We had access to two ovens, and there were going to be at least 3 of us that I knew about and possibly four. Turns out, there were four so it was a good thing I baked mine ahead of time. When I showed up that morning we baked Deb's off real fast, then the other two baked about the same time. It worked out perfectly.

So I was trying to decide, box cake mix or from scratch? From scratch won. Then I debated what type of cake I wanted to make. This is when I decided, Chocolate. Then I had to decide, what chocolate cake recipe to use...

One of my absolute favorites is Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Cake that is typically a sheet cake. No big deal. I just turned it into 8" round double cakes and bam, the chocolate cake for my decorating was born.

In the end, I almost didn't decorate mine. Lots of reason why I wasn't going to, but at the last minute I quickly decorated one. Not bad for 30 minutes or something like that start to finish, right? I'm not 100% sure I even spent that much time. Sadly there are some areas that look rushed below the arrow head... that's because the coupler pushed out of the bag and I was running out of green icing, so I shoved what little icing I had left through the tip with my finger. Hey, no one is judging, right?

Take my word for it.... Make this cake. It's tasty!


Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Cake by Pioneer Woman
FOR THE CAKE:
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.

In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together. Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.

In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. 


Pour into 2 greased/floured (*I prefer Baker's Joy) 8" round pans. Bake 350˚F for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out of the center clean.


Note: She uses an 18x13 sheet cake pan and bakes it for 20 minutes. But remember, I turned mine into 2-8" Round cakes

*Bakers Joy - It's a spray for baking. It's in a white can with a blue lid. Food Network did a study back in the early 2000's and it came out the best. I tried it and holy cow, I was sold. I've not really ever had issues getting a cake out of a pan when using that. Just thought I'd share 😁

png photo name_zps86dee27d.png

Labels: , , , , , ,