Neiman Marcus Cookies

 I have been on a cookie kick somewhat lately between all the dozens of sugar cookies I've made to the no bake cookies to Neiman Marcus Cookies. I guess after a long day, especially if it hasn't been ideal, it's nice to know you can go into the kitchen, mix sugars, butters, vanillas, and flours in a specific order and voila, you have cookies or cakes or whatever your little heart desires. Now that I come to think of it, isn't it weird that you can use the same ingredients for cookies as you do for cakes and they turn out with different substances? Just an interesting thought there.

So these Neiman Marcus cookies I mentioned... do you remember a few years ago, and I'm really probably talking 10-15 (am I aging myself) an email that went around about a lady who really loved the cookies at Neiman Marcus and decided to buy the recipe. She didn't realize she'd have to pay boocoos of money for it and so she started spreading the recipe via email blasts to pay them back for taking advantage of her.
Well I went to snopes.com and that wasn't a true email so Snopes tells us, but the cookies... oh the cookies are REAL! Holy Wow! Now the recipe says it makes 112 cookies but you can half it and that gives you like 56 (someone please check my math, I was an Ag and English major 😜). Obviously that's not an exact science because sometimes you make bigger cookies and sometimes you make smaller cookies so.... that's just a rough average.

There's supposedly a huge ice storm headed this way and we might even potentially lose power. I'm not really looking forward to that, so that was kind of my reason for making cookies today. I wanted something to snack on just in case you know.
 Back in 2007 we were without power in January for a week. Boy that sucked. The house was 40ËšF when I woke up one morning. I could see my breath. I remember I slept in shorts, long johns, sleep pants, 3 pairs of socks, a long sleeved tshirt, a tshirt, and a hoodie with the hood pulled up over my head, then I had about 6 blankets piled on top of me on my bed and still about froze. I wouldn't have made it as a pioneer woman. I like to be warm and I love my running water.

When the power came back on, I went to the store the next day, bought ingredients to make cookies, made cookies, and drove around delivering them to all the linemen working on bringing the electricity back up and thanking them for their hard work while reassuring them they were all fresh ingredients 😀. Hey they were out there busting their butts in the frigid temperatures.

So now that I've blabbered on and on about these cookies, how about I share the recipe that I use. Whether they are the real deal or not, it doesn't matter because they are friggin fantastic, so there's that.

Neiman-Marcus Cookies
Makes 112 cookies.  This recipe may be halved.

2 Cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
5 cups blended oatmeal
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
24 oz chocolate chips
1-8oz Chocolate bar (like a Hersey's or Cadbury, etc) (grated)
3 cups chopped nuts (optional)

Measure oatmeal and blend to a fine powder in blender or food processor.

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla, mix. In a small bowl mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add to the creamed butter mixture.

Stir in chocolate chips, Hersey bar, and nuts.  Roll into balls and place 2" apart on a cookie sheet. Press with fingers to flatten just a bit (otherwise they'll be a huge ball when they bake).

Bake for 10 minutes @ 375 degrees.

Eat and enjoy!

png photo name_zps86dee27d.png

Labels: , , , , ,