Dixie's Sky-high Biscuits


This past weekend at my house was... let's just say interesting. We'll leave it at that for now... But I woke up on Saturday morning and was hungry. Mark asked if wanted his sausage/tatortot thing and I told him I was thinking either waffles, pancakes, or biscuits and gravy. He chose Biscuits and Gravy. So I hopped out of bed and went and made biscuits and gravy... all from scratch.

A few years ago I set out to figure out how to make biscuits. I burned more batches than I care to share, until I found these. They are big, buttery, thick, flakey, everything you could want in a biscuit. While I was on my quest, a blog friend suggested to melt butter in a cast iron skillet and bake the biscuits in the melted butter in a warm cast iron skillet to get a nice crusty, buttery bottom, and since then my life has been forever changed.

If you want a biscuit that is life changing, try these. And if you don't, well, still try them anyway. Sunday morning I made biscuits again because they are so quick and easy to whip up and we ate them with jelly because I didn't have any sausage left over for gravy again.

Dixie's Sky-high biscuits (adapted from Delightful Country Cookin')
Instructions
Preheat oven 400˚F.
Place a cast iron skillet on the stove on low with 2 tbsp butter to allow butter to melt and coat the bottom of the skillet.
Combine flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
Cut in butter until mixture is coarse and crumbly
Add egg and milk, stirring quickly until just mixed.
On a lightly floured board, knead the biscuit dough briefly, 10 or so times.
Pat or roll out to about a 1-inch thickness.
With a biscuit cutter, cut biscuits and place in the melted butter cast iron skillet.
Bake at 400˚F for 12-15 minutes until biscuits are cooked thoroughly and lightly golden on top.
Then they are ready to eat with your topping of choice, i.e. gravy, jelly, butter, or even plain!


png photo name_zps86dee27d.png

Labels: , , , ,